Demolocke's Caveat

Caveat: Please make note that this article/post is my personal analysis of the subject and the information used was chosen or picked by me. It is not an analysis piece because it lacks complete and comprehensive research, it was not adequately and completely investigated and it is not balanced, i.e., it is my personal view without the views of others including subject experts, etc. Look at this as “Infotainment rather then expert research.” This is an opinion/editorial article/post meant to persuade the reader to think, decide and accept or reject my premise. It is an attempt to cause change or reinforce attitudes, beliefs and values as they apply in life. It is merely a commentary on the subject in the particular article presented.


This article is mine and mine alone. I the author of this article assure you, the reader, that any of the opinions expressed here are my own and are a result of the way in which my meandering mind interprets a particular situation and/or concept. The views expressed here are solely those of the author in his private capacity and do not in any way represent the views of other professionals or authors of source materials. It should be quite obvious that the sources I used herein have not approved, endorsed, embraced, friended, liked, tweeted or authorized this article. (Everything I think and write is true, within the limits of my knowledge and understanding. Oh, and just because I wrote it and just because it sounds reasonable and just because it makes sense, does not mean it is true.)


Finally, it is incumbent that the reader take any information they feel is relevant and useful and perform an in-depth analysis of it to work out its value to the reader. It is also stressed that the reader also present the information to qualified professionals/experts so that his or her expertise and experience can also analyze the information to validate and then synthesize said information into their ideas, theories or facts/information either as is or as synthesized into something new and creative.


Oh, it is pronounced "Dem-Locke."

Wednesday, November 2, 2016

I HAD a Great Software Product

Demolocke’s Agenda Article/Post Caveat (Read First Please: Click the Link)

But, thanks to the “Unusual Business Practices” of the software company that software is now gone. I paid a large sum of cash to purchase that software package and after a crash tried to reinstall the software only to find that the software company had not just taken the software off their market but set it up that when you try to install or reinstall it, it connects to their servers where you get a message that the license is no longer valid. What happens is if you want to get a replacement you have to shell out more money for a more complex and higher learning curve set of software programs. This really sucks.

I had used this piece of software for over a decade. It was simple, easy to use and the learning curve was the shortest I have ever encountered in my time testing out such software programs. What piece is it, well it is a simple program in the same area of other like programs such as Photoshop. It is NOT photoshop because that is still out there but it was a program that when coupled with other like development programs made life easy, fast and productive.

I found a open source program that some say is similar to the one taken from me unawares but it isn’t, it is not the simple, easy and short learning curve, it requires a lot more work to use in creating certain types of graphics.

I can’t help but wonder why the company decided to trigger the license as no longer valid for an old program they no longer sell or support except I can theorize that they wanted everyone to buy their new, improved and yet most difficult to learn programs. It seems that a deliberate programming effort was created to force people to upgrade but here is the rub, the old software was all I needed “ever” and would have served me for many more years so it bothers me that they would create a license killer sub-routine. It pissed me off so much that I went open source for a replacement and all the other programs on my work machine (the old program was on my personal machine), we use the same vendor for work, that I refuse to use those packages and refuse to lead them on my workstation (I removed them all from the machine after my old program was killed by the vendor).

I have seen or observed other vendors going this way by using the cloud installer where they check, it appears to check your machine for old software, then possibly kill your bought and paid for life licenses. That sucks! It is a bad business practice and when it becomes more prominent in software purchases I hope the buyers protest vehemently. 


No comments:

Post a Comment